Hello.

10 April 2006

perils of video game addiction.

Since playing Alpha Centauri with other people for a while, I have come to the conclusion that I'm the one who always gets his ass kicked. Well then, I sez to myself, play a single player game, to figure out what are common strategies, or at least the stupid stuff everyone else knows from playing that I hadn't learned, since this is pretty much the first few games I've ever played.

So I started a single player game on Thursday, and played all day. Didn't go to work that day. This was a game I had never played more than ten turns before, because it was too boring. I figured it would be like MOO2, a game I never got into because it was too boring, until one time I played long enough for something to happen, and it became the greatest game ever. SMAC hasn't gotten that status but suddenly I see what people are raving about.

Started another game on Saturday. And suddenly Saturday had nothing accomplished either.

So I'm carefully going back to just the PBEM model of playing, and accepting that I will be the suckiest player.

(random comment: I had always said that I would refrain from posting boring personal crap here. Well, there's always an exception.)

1 Comments:

  • At 22 April, 2006 17:07, Blogger Yen said…

    You may want to try smaller or even the TIny map. I remeber when we were playing the demo in poston and you could only play 100 turns. On a tiny map that may be a game and would certainly save you from wasting you whole days.

    SMAC is certainly on of those games where they make it easy to 'take just one more turn'.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home