Hello.

25 January 2006

Socket Programming Howto

And blogger.com claims they are having a scheduled outage at 4:00PM PST. It's 6:44PM EST. My little brain goes into translating time zones and ....

So I better write quickly.

I wanted to throw up an appeal for a good introduction to socket programming, complete with information about how to use select and examples, in C, or at least preferably in C, or in a language close enough so that all the examples carry over. I've been using Beej's guide to socket programming, and realized that perhaps why didn't understand any of it is because it is a little rough around the edges. A zillion people recommend that book[1] which I might have to go out and purchase.

The way I've really been doing it is staring at code and then modifying the code so that it does what I want. But then when I start to get something useful I think "Should I credit Beej (or one of the many other tutorials I've copied code from) or should I learn how to do this on my own?"

[1] Unix Network Programming, volume 1

6:50PM, alright, getting it typed in time!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home