Hello.

16 March 2005

How to identify a dork from 10 paces...

A program I've always thought interesting has been Virtual Maze Book, an old program I've found that you can download from the info-mac archives. It uses a plaintext savefile, and comes with some fonts, such that you can load the save files in your favourite text editor, and change the font, so they look like the maze ("suitable for printing", the documentation says). I was kind enough to host a screenshot for you (why does mac only save screenshots as pdf?).

I've generally preferred an angband-style maze, so I cobbled together a perl script to make it into a maze that you could open up and it would look something like this. I actually am still thinking it needs to be fixed so as not to double wall everything, but it does okay for now.

So yesterday I discovered ldraw.org. Ldraw is a system and format for describing lego models. It's really simple and there are a lot of programs to model lego building, as well as exporting these models to POV-Ray for rendering. So I wrote up another script to convert my (converted) mazes to ldraw files.






These are not the finished results of my scripts, I loaded the output of the last into Mac Brick CAD and did a little camera work and exported it to POV-Ray from there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home